Sunday, March 25, 2012

Fun With Photography!

I bought my new awesome DSLR camera last spring and have been trying to learn more and more about photography and lighting.  I've come to the conclusion that I love indirect natural daylight the best.  I've learned somewhat how to manage to work with indoor lighting, but it's harder and much more time-consuming in the final photo editing process.  And the color is just far superior and much more true with natural daylight. 

My latest experiment this morning is my setup shown below.


First, this table is located right next to a huge patio door.  The morning sun shines brightly through this side of the house.  I want to avoid harsh shadows around my jewelry, so I placed a large piece of wax paper on the window to filter the light, but still keep the optimum color temperature.  

I then covered a bi-fold cardboard cutout with aluminum foil to put on the opposite side of the window to reflect light back onto the jewelry.  

I have a few pieces of scrapbook paper with neutral themes to use as a background to lay my jewelry on.  

Props can be really cool if done nicely... I don't like too much stuff in the background, but I loved this decorative wood frame and the washed look on this wood box.  They have turned out to be super-cool props and the wood box is my favorite yet!!

Here are some of the results from my photo shoot.

   

What do you think??

No comments: